Accreditations & Authorizations

Notice of Nondiscrimination

Chowan University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, genetic information, or age in its programs and activities.

The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:

Director of Human Resources
Jenkins Fine Arts Center

Accreditations

Chowan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, and master’s degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Chowan University.

The university is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). 

Authorizations

The university is authorized by the immigration authorities of the United States for the training of foreign students.

Chowan University is approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the Certification of Eligibility of Chapter 30 and Chapter 35 coverage of the GI Bill® benefits for all military services, including the National Guard. 

View Consumer Information

State Authorization Compliance

Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. Chowan works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education programs.

State and Federal Regulations on ‘State Authorization of Distance Education

Contact Information for Filing Complaint

Chowan University is committed to providing students with a means for sharing their concerns and officially registering complaints about any academic program, student service, or university process.

Chowan University Student Complaint Form

The Student Complaint Form provides students with an avenue to submit a concern regarding any area on campus for which no other specific process exists. This form is not an appeal form, and, therefore, should NOT be used to submit complaints regarding academic penalties or student disciplinary actions. Students should follow the established appeal process as outlined in the Academic CatalogStudent Handbook (p. 26), and below:

Student Complaint Policy

Chowan University is committed to providing students with a means for sharing their concerns and officially registering complaints about any academic program, student service, or university process. The Student Complaint Form provides students with an avenue to submit a concern regarding any area on campus for which no other specific process exists.  Any student who has an unresolved complaint with a faculty or staff member, another student or student group, or administrator has the right to file a written complaint without fear of prejudice of his or her status at the University.

Definition of Complaint

A complaint involves a problem or concern outside of disciplinary measures.  Disagreement with a disciplinary measure, academic or social, should be addressed using the appeal procedure for that area, as found in the Chowan University Academic Catalog and/or Student Handbook.

Process

Students who are unable to resolve grievances personally with a member of the Chowan community may file a written complaint. Complaints may be submitted to any University Official who will submit the form to the appropriate Vice President.

Students who submit a complaint to any Chowan official via means other than the designated form should immediately be provided with the form.

This form is not an appeal form. Appeal of grades, financial penalties, or other disciplinary action should be submitted on the appropriate appeal form for that area.

Click here to access the complaint form. It is also found on MyCU, on the Shared Information Drive S, or from any administrative office.

In addition, a student who wishes to file a Title IX complaint should request the Title IX Discrimination Complaint Form.

Student Complaint Form 

SARA-NC Complaint Form

Title IX Discrimination Complaint Form 

Contact Information:

Danny B. Moore
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Chowan University
One University Place
Murfreesboro, NC 27855
Third Floor, Columns Building
252-398-6211
moored@chowan.edu

North Carolina Post Secondary Education Complaints

If you have a complaint about Chowan’s distance education courses, you are unable to resolve a complaint through Chowan’s grievance procedures, and you are a resident of North Carolina, you may contact the Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office.

Before contacting Licensure Division of the University of North Carolina System Office, you can review the Student Complaint Policy, print out the Student Complaint Form, complete the form, and submit the completed form to the following address:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688 
(919) 962-4558

For more information, send an email to studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu

Southern Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Colleges

If for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Chowan University’s accrediting agency. 

Chowan University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate, baccalaureate, and masters degrees. Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Chowan University.

Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures.

The contact information for SACSCOC is:

SACSCOC
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Telephone:  404-679-4500
Website:  Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges at www.sacscoc.org

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NCSARA-NC (www.saranc.org) is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form.

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629

Telephone:  (855) SARA-1-NC (855-727-2162)
Telephone:  919-549-8614, ext. 4667
Website:  SARA NC at www.saranc.org
Email: complaint@saranc.org

Students Outside of North Carolina

Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. Please see the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form.

Professional Licensure

Chowan University does not offer any online programs that lead to professional licensure.

NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. 

Currently, the only school with programs leading to licensure is our School of Education. For more information about these programs, including contact information, please visit the School of Education webpage or contact: Dr. Brenda TinkhamDean, School of EducationOne University Place   Murfreesboro, NC 27855 252-398-6304 tinkhb@chowan.edu

CONTACTING NORTH CAROLINA LICENSURE

Public Schools of North Carolina State Board of Education – Department of Public Instruction
Professional Educator’s Licensure Contact Information

Online System

Professional educators are able to apply for and update their North Carolina licenses online. Instructions and more information are available within the online licensure system.

Go to the NCDPI Online Licensure System.

Phone

Two phone numbers are available for inquiries Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm Eastern Standard Time:

800.577.7994 within North Carolina and 919.807.3310 outside of North Carolina.

Email

Please note when emailing us to include your full name in the email, as well as the last 4 numbers of your SSN and your license or application number. Failure to provide this information may create delays in our ability to respond. asklicensure@dpi.nc.gov.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/licensure/

PROGRAMS LEADING TO LICENSURE IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION

Chowan University programs prepare students to meet licensure requirements in the State of North Carolina. Licensing requirements in North Carolina may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state. Chowan cannot determine the applicability of program coursework to satisfy licensing requirements outside of North Carolina. 

The list below contains Chowan’s programs that fulfill academic requirements leading to licensure. 

  • Elementary Education (B.S.)            
  • Social Studies Education (B.S.)
  • Music Education (B.S.)
  • Mathematics Education (B.S.)
  • Comprehensive Science (B.S.)
  • English Education (B.S.)
  • Elementary Education (M.Ed.)
  • Elementary Educatoin (M.A.T.)
  • Secondary Education (M.A.T.)

If you would like to compare these programs to licensure requirements in other states, please click on the link below and then select the appropriate state:

U.S. Department of Education

Student achievement

Chowan University evaluates the achievement of its students in relation to its mission:

“The University provides the environment for students to become learners who possess the skills, knowledge, creativity, and ethical values necessary to survive and flourish in a rapidly changing, culturally diverse, global society. The University fulfills its mission with a careful blend of both liberal arts programs and professional programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Recognizing that such a blend of knowledge and experience is particularly suited to the needs of contemporary society, Chowan emphasizes the need to connect general education with specialized education, theoretical learning with practical learning, and intellectual skills with career skills in all areas of study. Graduate studies will enhance practical learning, intellectual skills, and career skills beyond the undergraduate program.”

In achieving its mission, Chowan is committed to serving average students. By “average,” the institution means students with a GPA from 2.25 to 3.25 and “average” SAT scores (around 850 for the two-part SAT). However, the university accepts students below these criteria if they show a commitment to the Chowan University experience and academic potential.

Goal 1 – 80% Course Completion Rate by Academic Year

2017-2018 – 76.2%
2018-2019 – 86.4%
2019-2020 – 86.3%

Goal 2 – 30% Graduation Rate (six years) by Cohort 

2012 – 28.6%
2013 – 27.2%
2014 – 31.5%

Goal 3 – 55% Retention Rate by Academic year
(first-to-second year of first-time, full-time  degree-seeking students)

2016-2017 – 46%
2017-2018 – 55%
2018-2019 – 56%

Goal 4 – 60% Combined Employment and Graduate/Professional School Placement Rate
(just prior to graduation)

In an exit survey, graduating seniors were asked the following question: What are your plans for the fall?  

2017 – Accepted to Graduate/Professional School 21.2% – Accepted Position 41.2% – Total 62.4%
2018 – Accepted to Graduate/Professional School 20.6% – Accepted Position 40.9% – Total 61.5%
2019 – Accepted to Graduate/Professional School 20.4%  – Accepted Position 43.5% – Total 63.9%

Goal 5 – 85% Combined Employment and Graduate/Professional School Placement Rate
(six months after graduation)

Graduates, who were surveyed six months after graduation, were asked the following question: Is your current position related to your field of study or are you currently attending graduate or professional school? 

2017 – 84.6%
2018 – 84.9%
2019 – 89.3%