Consumer Information

Institutional Information

Chowan University wants to ensure that prospective students, current students, employees, and the public have easy access to important information involving admissions, financial aid, athletic aid health and safety issues, and other required information. This information is in compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and other consumer protection legislation. If you have any questions regarding the information or would like the information in paper form, please contact Chowan University at 1-888-4-CHOWAN. Business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

General Institutional Information

Additional information can be obtained upon request through the Admissions Office. Contact the Admissions Office at:

Phone: 252-398-6230
Office: University Welcome House

Gainful Employment
Chowan University is not required to comply with reporting for Gainful Employment since all programs we offer end in the receipt of a degree.

Career Services
Additional Information can be obtained upon request from the Student Affairs Office.

Alan Scott, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Careers and Programs 
Phone: 252-398-6454
Office: Hawks Nest

Disability Services
Additional Information can be obtained upon request from the Learning Center.

Ella Benson, EdD, Dean, Accessibility Services
Phone: 252-398-6358
Office: Horner Hall 101

Textbook Information
Chowan University Bookstore

Hawks Flight Book Program – Students are automatically enrolled in the program, which allows students to obtain all required books for their course load. The full-time student rate is $410 per semester and the part-time rate is $200 per semester, which is applied to the student’s account. Students have the ability to opt out of the program via MyCU (Business Office Folder). Opting out of the Hawk Flight Book Program does not relieve the student’s obligation to have books and required material for each course. If you have questions, please call the Business Office at 252-398-6290. 

Textbook Assistance for Pell Eligible Students
US Department of Education Policy
Copyright Policies and Sanctions
US Department of Education Policy

Student Diversity
College Navigator
Additional Information can be obtained upon request through the Registrar’s Office.
Richard Todd, Registrar
Phone: 252-398- 6280

Student Right-To-Know (Student Outcomes)
College Navigator
Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Data Center
Additional information can be obtained upon request from the Registrar’s Office.
Richard Todd, Registrar
Phone: 252-398-6280

Plans for Academic Program Involvement
Information can be obtained upon request from the Office of the Provost.
Phone: 252-398-6211
Office: McDowell Columns Building, 3rd Floor

Teacher Preparation Program
North Carolina State Education Department Contact
Additional information can be obtained upon request through the School of Education.
School of Education
Phone: 252-398-6304
Office: Texie Camp Hall, 1st Floor

Notice of Nondiscrimination
Chowan University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, genetic information, or age in its programs and activities.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Director of Human Resources
Jenkins Fine Arts Center

Financial Aid Information

General Financial Aid Information
Additional Information can be obtained upon request through the Financial Aid Office.
Phone: 252-398-6535
Office: McDowell Columns Building, 1st Floor

A description of the fees for attendance is published in the Chowan University Catalog, here, or may be obtained through the Financial Aid Office.

Eligibility Requirements for Financial Aid
Student eligibility requirements are listed in the following documents:

To be eligible to receive need-based Federal Assistance, a student must:

  • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident or reside in the United States for other than a temporary purpose (supportive documentation may be required to verify residency or citizenship status)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in their course of study
  • Not be in default of any loan or owe a repayment on Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, or State Grant
  • Demonstrate financial need

Students may obtain criteria for selecting recipients and determining award amounts by making an appointment with a Financial Aid Administrator.

Eligibility Requirements for High School Equivalency Testing
A resident of the state of North Carolina who has not graduated from an accredited high school is eligible to take the high school equivalency test in accordance with rules set by the State Board of Educators.

GED Test Center

  • Roanoke Chowan Community College is the closest to Chowan University, and serves as an official GED Test Center for students who do not have a high school diploma.
  • You must be 18 years old to test in North Carolina; however, a waiver to test at 16 or 17 may be granted if the student meets the following requirements:
    • If you are 16 or 17 years old, North Carolina requires approval for an exception. Contact your local North Carolina Basic Skills Education program for the appropriate form(s).
    • In North Carolina, you’re not required to be a resident but you must take and pass the last test in your battery in North Carolina to be awarded a diploma from North Carolina.
    • Some states allow people who don’t live there to take the GED test and others don’t. You’ll need to check the residency reuirement for the state that you’re interested to test in.
    • North Carolina does not require you to prepare for the GED test in an adult education classroom.
    • You are not required to take the GED Ready practice test before taking the official GED test.
    • North Carolina charges $20 per module for the GED test.
    • In North Carolina, there is no waiting period for your first two retakes. After taking a test subject 3 times, you’ll have to wait 60 days each time before retesting it. There’s no limit to how many times you can test in a year.
    • You will receive two free retakes for every GED test subject you purchase but don’t pass. GED Testing Service waives its $20 testing fee, North Carolina does not require any additional fees.
    • After taking a test subject 3 times (and not passing), you’ll have to wait 60 days before retesting for each subsequent test and the price of your 3rd retake will be full price.
    • North Carolina has partnered with GED Testing Service for fulfillment of requests for GED transcripts and diploma.

Financial Aid Forms
The procedures and forms required to apply for financial aid are published in the Chowan University Catalog. In addition, notices announcing deadlines and application availability are distributed from the Financial Aid Office. Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis using a priority deadline. Students who complete their files after this priority date may receive limited funding.

There are many forms that may be required to evaluate student aid eligibility. However, a student need only apply for admissions and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to begin the application process.

Additional documents may be requested to complete the processing of the aid request. Notifications of these additional required documents are sent to students through a Request for Additional Information Form. Additional information may include, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of selective service registration
  • Marriage certificate
  • Copy of social security card
  • Verification worksheet
  • Tax return transcript (parent and student and/or spouse)
  • W-2s (Parent and student and/or spouse)
  • Zero income/non-tax filer verification form (Parent and student and/or spouse)
  • Asset Form (Parent and student and/or spouse)

Paper copies can be obtained upon request through the Financial Aid Office.

Assistance Available From Federal, State, and Institutional Programs
Financial aid funds may be categorized into four basic sources: federal, state, institutional, and private.

Federal Aid

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Federal Work Study (FWS)
  • Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

State Aid

Institutional Aid

  • Presidential Scholarship
  • Alumni Scholarship
  • University Scholarship
  • Opportunity Grant
  • Leadership Scholarship
  • Trustee Scholarship
  • Dean’s Scholarship
  • Academic Scholarship
  • Music Scholarship
  • Athletic Scholarships
  • Endowed Scholarships
  • Need Based Grants

Loan Information
Federal Direct Loans
Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans (Student)
The federal government allows students to borrow direct Stafford loans in their names to assist in paying for their education. These loans must be repaid, including principal and any accrued interest. Direct Loan services provide a variety of deferment options and extended repayment terms. Student loans include the Federal Subsidized Stafford and the Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Unsubsidized loans accrue interest while the student is in school.

In order for student loans to be disbursed, the student must complete the Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling. These documents need to be completed and signed electronically using the student’s FSAID. For more information, visit

Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent)
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is available to parents of dependent students. The maximum amount that may be borrowed is calculated by subtracting the financial aid offer from the total cost of attendance. PLUS Loan borrowers are subject to a credit check to determine creditworthiness.

In order for the PLUS loan to be disbursed, the parent must complete the PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). This document needs to be completed and signed electronically using the parent’s FSAID. For more information, visit . is available for current and former students to access the amount of student loans borrowed, servicer contact information, and view their Pell Grant records.

Entrance Counseling
Regulations require that students must complete the Federal Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling before loans can be disbursed to the school.
Department of Education’s Entrance Counseling Brochure

Exit Counseling
Regulations require that students complete Federal Stafford Loan Exit Counseling before graduating, withdrawing, or falling below half-time (6 credit hours).
Department of Education’s Exit Counseling Brochure

Private Loans/Alternative Loans
Private or alternative loans are unsecured, credit-based loans that are not guaranteed by the federal government. Please note that a credit-worthy co-signer may be required. We have carefully considered our selections in order to provide you with the best possible list of suggested lenders. Chowan University does not endorse any particular lender and you are free to choose a lender that is not listed on our Preferred Lenders List. Please borrow conservatively.

Regulations require that private loan lenders obtain a self-certification signed by the loan applicant before disbursing a private loan. The Self-Certification Form can be accessed by clicking here. The borrower must complete the Self-Certification Form (which is provided by the lender as part of the application process) and return it to the lender (do not send it to Chowan University). The intent of the form is to inform the borrower of other borrowing options which may offer better terms and conditions; and that the borrower is aware of the amount of educational costs. If you need assistance with completing the form, please call us at 252-398-6535.

Chowan University’s Preferred Lenders List
Preferred Lenders Code of Conduct
Self-Certification Form

Refund Policy and Requirements for Withdrawal and Return of Federal Financial Aid
For examples of Withdrawal Calculations (Return to Title IV and Institutional Charge Reduction) click here.

Students’ Financial Aid Rights and Responsibilities
As a recipient of financial aid, there are certain rights and responsibilities of which students should be aware. These rights and responsibilities of students on financial aid can be found below.
Chowan University Catalog
Award Package Inserts

Students have the right to know the:

  • The financial aid programs that are available at Chowan University.
  • The process and procedures that must be followed in order to be considered for financial aid.
  • The criteria used in selection of recipients, and the method for calculating need.
  • The various programs on the financial aid award and how the need was determined.
  • The refund and repayment policy at the University.
  • How the Financial Aid Office makes its determination on such questions as student progress, the appeal process, and other decisions.
  • The terms, including repayment of any loan allocated by the University.

Students are responsible for:

  • The timely and proper completion of all necessary forms by the established deadlines, and the accuracy of any information provided to the University in the financial aid application.
  • Promptly providing any additional information requested by the Financial Aid Office.
  • Keeping the Financial Aid Office informed of any changes in address, name, marital status, financial situation, or any change in student status.
  • Reading and understanding all financial aid forms sent and/or signed and keeping copies of forms.
  • Notifying the Financial Aid Office of any scholarship, grant, or other resources made available from non-University sources while receiving financial aid.
  • Notifying the Financial Aid Office if the student withdraws from the University or changes enrollment status. Because some repayment may be expected on a proprated basis, future aid may be suspended if arrangements for payments are not made with the Financial Aid Office.
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress to be considered for financial aid.
  • Visiting the Student Loan Coordinator’s office and/or the Financial Aid Office for an exit interview if in receipt of a Perkins or Direct Loan (former Federal Family Education Loan) and do not plan to return to school the following semester.
  • Re-applying for aid each year.

Federal Work-Study Program
Federal Work-Study is not a scholarship, but a chance to earn money for college. Please note that Chowan University does not guarantee that any student who qualifies for the Federal Work-Study Program will be given a job. Freshman students are sent paperwork regarding job placement and orientation. Upperclassmen have the opportunity to seek employment anywhere on campus. Qualified Work Study students will usually fill most open positions.

Students will be notified if awarded Federal Work Study. The following must be completed in order to participate in the Federal Work Study program at Chowan University:

  • Complete the current year FAFSA listing Chowan University’s school code
  • Completed the verification process if scheduled for verification.
  • Receive and accept Federal Work Study offered on the Financial Aid Award Letter.
  • Review online job postings, and apply with applicable departments via website.
  • Complete the Work Study Contract, I-9, and W-4 Forms.

Drug-Related Convictions and Student Ineligibility for Federal Student Aid
Drug convictions no longer affect federal student aid eligibility. As of July 1, 2023, if you are subject to an involuntary civil commitment for a sexual offense, you may qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.

Privacy of Student Records – FERPA

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Chowan University Student Handbook pg. 23
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records at Chowan University. These rights transfer to the student, or former student, once he or she becomes an “eligible student” by beginning to attend Chowan University.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All degree-seeking students must meet the three Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards in order to maintain eligibility for Federal Student Aid.
SAP Regulations

Health and Safety

Campus Security Act (Clery Act)
Chowan University complies with the Campus Security Act. Public Safety prepares and distributes an annual report and monthly crime statistics to members of this academic community. Crime statistics are available upon request through the Public Safety Office.

Public Safety
Phone: 252-398-1234
Office: Penny Hall

The Campus Security Act requires colleges and universities to:

  • Publish an annual report every year by October that contains three years of campus crime statistics and certain campus security policy statements;
  • Disclose crime statistics for the campus, public areas immediately adjacent to or running through the campus, and certain non-campus facilities and remote classrooms. The statistics must be gathered from campus police, local law enforcement agencies, and other University officials who have “significant responsibility for student and campus activities;”
  • Provide “timely warning” notices of those crimes that have occurred and pose an ongoing “threat to students and employees;”
  • Disclose in a public crime log “any crime that occurred on campus…or within the patrol jurisdiction of the campus police or the campus security department and is reported to the campus police or security department.”

Campus Security Policies, Campus Safety, and Crime Statistics
Public Safety
The department provides law enforcement services to our university community. Chowan University has its own campus police department under the direction of the Chief of Campus Police. Our officers are trained and certified to enforce the laws of the State of North Carolina just as any other law enforcement officer in the state. The department works in conjunction with local municipal and county agencies to provide police protection 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year. The department’s primary goal is to provide a safe and secure environment to the University community to accomplish its mission.
Student Handbook, pg.36

Fire Safety
Student Handbook Pg 61

Missing Student Policy
Student Handbook pg. 69

Emergency Notification
Student Handbook, pg 68

Emergency Response and Evacuation
Information is available upon request through the Public Safety Office.

Hate Crimes
Student Handbook pg. 84

Annual Reports
Annual Security Reports
Yearly reports include the records of criminal offenses, hate crimes, arrest and disciplinary actions on campus, in residency halls, and on public property, and fire statistics. Reports may also be found on the Public Safety webpage.

Drugs, Alcohol, and other Guidelines and Policies
Student Handbook, pg 71

Vaccination Policy
Information is available upon request through the Department of Student Affairs.
Phone: 252-398-1227
Office: Penny Hall, 2nd Floor

Athletic Department Information

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA)

Athletic program participation rates and financial support data
Equity in Athletics Data Analysis Cutting Tool Website
Additional information can be obtained through the Athletic Department.

Pat Mashuda
Assistant Vice President for Athletics and Compliance
Phone: 252-398-6243
Office: Hawks Athletic Center, 2nd Floor

Constitution Day

Constitution Day celebrations are coordinated annually by Dr. Danny Moore, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, which emphasizes leadership, service, and civic values. Additional information about this year’s event can be obtained upon request through the Provost Office.

Office of the Provost
Phone: 252-398-6211
Office: McDowell Columns Building, 2nd Floor

Voter Registration

Information on voting as a student

Financial Aid Forms