Financial Aid Forms and FAQ

Students can log into their Net Partner (en español) account to upload documents. For instructions, watch this video.

Once documents are uploaded they will appear as ‘Not Reviewed’. This status indicates the Financial Aid Office will begin to process the forms that have been uploaded. 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Chowan University must have written consent to release any information from a student’s education record. Please complete this form to indicate to whom your financial information for the 2024-25 academic year can be released.

Please note that this form is only valid for the 2024-25 academic year, additional forms will need to be completed annually.


Verification is a review process intended to improve the accuracy of the information submitted on the FAFSA. If selected for verification either by the federal government or by the financial aid office, you may be asked to provide copies of documentation such as:

Once completed, the verification documents should be sent to The Chowan University Financial Aid Office:

Net Partner, Chowan’s online financial aid system, or email If emailed, please remove all personally identifiable information (social security number, date of birth, etc).

By mail to:

Chowan University
Financial Aid Office
One University Place
Murfreesboro, NC 27855
Fax: (252) 398-6513

You can also deliver the forms in person. The Financial Aid Office is located on the ground floor of the McDowell Columns Building.

Each student and parent must have a unique FSA ID and password in order to apply for Financial Aid. Visit to obtain your FSA ID and set your password.

For your security, we request that you do not send any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) via email or attachments. This may include social security numbers, dates of birth, and other information.  

Change in Financial Circumstances

In limited instances, the Financial Aid Office may be able to consider a one-time adjustment to the FAFSA for changes in financial status. Circumstances may include:

Parent or student earned money in 2021, and has lost a job in 2021, 2022 or 2023, or received fewer hours at work. 
Parent or student has changed jobs, retired, or had an income reduction. 
Parents (or student and spouse) have separated and/or divorced since completing the FAFSA.
A parent or spouse has died since completing the FAFSA. 
Parents took a one-time distribution from an IRA or pension account. 
Parents (or student) received an untaxed benefit (child support, unemployment, untaxed VA benefits, combat pay, etc.) and it is no longer available.
Other extenuating circumstances. 

If you have been impacted by any of these areas, we encourage you to complete the Change in Financial Status Request Form which can be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office. Please note that additional documents will likely be requested as we process your information. If you have additional questions, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at 252-398-6535 or email 

Financial Aid FAQs

You may view, upload, and sign Chowan Financial Aid documents in NetPartner.

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying.

Yes. Most financial aid offices require that you apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid.

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.


You will need the following documents:

  • Your 2022 Federal Tax Return and all 2022 W-2 Forms
  • Your spouse’s 2022 Federal Tax Return and all 2022 W-2 Forms (if applicable)
  • Your parents’ 2022 Federal Tax Return and all 2022 W-2 Forms (if you are dependent)
  • Bank statements for checking, savings, and investment accounts

If your parents are divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent. If this parent is remarried as of today, answer the questions about that parent and the person to whom your parent is married (your stepparent).

Yes.  A parent’s unwillingness to help does not make a student independent.  Dependency, according to federal financial aid law, is determined by your answers to the questions in “Step Three” of the FAFSA.  If you can answer “yes” to any of these items, then you are considered independent for financial aid purposes, and can complete the FAFSA without parental data.  A student who is classified as independent for federal tax filing purposes may or may not also be classified as independent for financial aid filing purposes.

Please refer to this link and the section concerning the tax return.

Contact the Financial Aid Office at Chowan University and explain your situation to a staff person.  Additional documentation will be required.

No, the reported assets provide a “snapshot” of your financial situation on the day that you filed the FAFSA.

Award letters will be mailed to your address on file. The award packet will include general information about Chowan University, tuition and fees, and Financial Aid. Your award will be listed on a letter inside the award packet. Additionally, instructions will be printed on a separate piece of paper that walk you through step-by-step how to accept or decline all or portions of your award. You may also e-sign online at

Your file is not complete. You can look at your My CU account or contact our office at 1-888-4-CHOWAN to find out what forms you still need to submit to complete your financial aid file.

Students may contact the Business Office at 1-888-4-CHOWAN.

A student’s award package may be revised if their housing status changes from on-campus to off-campus.  Off-campus students are billed by Chowan University only for tuition and fees and may receive some of their financial aid as an excess aid refund.

University policy requires all full-time students to live in campus housing unless they meet one of the following conditions:

  • Married
  • Live in the community with their parents or grandparents
  • Over 23 years of age
  • A veteran of the United States military

To apply to live off-campus, please complete the commuter application at

A “Summer School Financial Aid” email will be sent to students around the end of February.  The student will use this form to apply for Summer School Financial Aid. Enrollment in summer classes must be confirmed, and Satisfactory Academic Progress must be met before financial aid can be disbursed. Any change in your status may alter your financial aid offer. Federal Direct Loans that are offered to a student as a TERM Loan are required to be disbursed in two separate installments. It is a federal requirement that the second installment occur after the midpoint of the semester.

All degree-seeking students must meet three SAP standards in order to maintain eligibility for continued enrollment and financial aid. The standards include cumulative grade point, completion rate, and maximum timeframe for completion of a degree. The standards of SAP are monitored and enforced at the end of the academic year.

Dependent Student Classification Base Amount Unsub + Plus Loan Denial (or Independent) Total Yearly Amount
Freshman $3,500 $2,000 + $4,000 $9,500
Sophomore $4,500 $2,000 + $4,000 $10,500
Junior/Senior $5,500 $2,000 + $5,000 $12,500
Graduate $8,500 $2,000 + $10,00 $20,500

Yes. A dependent student loan limits would be the same as an independent student if their parent is denied a PLUS loan.  The Independent student may also borrow an additional $4,000 Unsubsidized Stafford Loan as a freshman and sophomore. This amount can increase to $5,000 additional loan eligibility at junior and senior standing.

No. Parents are, however, responsible for the Federal PLUS loans. Parents will only be responsible for your educational loans if they co-sign your loan. In general you and you alone are responsible for repaying your educational loans.