In addition to weekly private instruction, music students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of ensembles.
- Chowan Singers
- Chowan Winds
- Community Chorus
- Jazz Band
- Chamber Ensembles
Students from other majors across campus are welcome to participate in several of our ensembles. Contact the department at email@example.com for more information.
Scholarships are available to students for all areas of music performance. A student may audition in more than one performance medium. Auditions are held in Briley Recital Hall (in Daniel Hall) with no sound amplification. Music chosen for the audition should display the highest level of performance attained.
- Singers should prepare two selections in different styles from memory. These should be sung with live piano accompaniment. We will provide an accompanist.
- Instrumentalists should prepare one piece of appropriate solo literature.
- Instrumentalists should be prepared to play major and minor scales.
- Students auditioning in piano should be prepared to play two selections representing different style periods.
- Piano students should be prepared to play selected major and minor scales, hands together a minimum of two octaves.
- You will be asked to sight-read from a piece of music for your performance medium.
- You will be asked to match pitches in order to assess your tonal memory skills.
All students must be accepted for admission to Chowan University prior to the music audition. The music audition must be performed before enrollment in music coursework.
Auditions may also be scheduled in conjunction with a personal visit at other times at the discretion of the Department of Music and the Admissions Office. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 252-398-6236. Auditions are typically held on Admissions event dates.
Chowan University STEM Mentoring Program Travels to NCICU Workshop at Guilford College
On November 17th, seven student members of the STEM Mentoring Program at Chowan University, accompanied by Dr. Kyung-Hoon Lee, participated in the NCICU Career Workshop at Guilford College. The workshop provided an invaluable opportunity for these students to explore various career paths and gain insights into internship programs. As a Life Skills University, Chowan University.Keep Reading “Chowan University STEM Mentoring Program Travels to NCICU Workshop at Guilford College”
SPO Dupree Foster Engages with Criminal Justice Students in Campus Mentoring Session
Criminal Justice students at Chowan University recently had the invaluable opportunity to engage with Dupree Foster, a distinguished Special Police Officer (SPO) from the Chesapeake Police Department. Foster, a passionate motivational coach, provided insights into the benefits of pursuing a Criminal Justice Degree in today’s workforce. This event was just one of the many networking.Keep Reading “SPO Dupree Foster Engages with Criminal Justice Students in Campus Mentoring Session”
Professors Honored at 2023 Provost’s Award Ceremony
On Tuesday, November 14th, the annual Provost’s Awards were held in Vaughan Auditorium. This annual ceremony recognizes faculty and staff members on campus for their outstanding work with students and dedication to Chowan University. The awards and recipients are as follows: Excellence in Student Engagement Award – Taylor Furlough, Coordinator of Student Life Excellence in.Keep Reading “Professors Honored at 2023 Provost’s Award Ceremony”