In addition to weekly private instruction, music students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of ensembles.
- Chowan Singers
- Chowan Winds
- Community Chorus
- Jazz Band
- Chamber Ensembles
Students from other majors across campus are welcome to participate in several of our ensembles. Contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Scholarships are available to students for all areas of music performance. A student may audition in more than one performance medium. Auditions are held in Briley Recital Hall (in Daniel Hall) with no sound amplification. Music chosen for the audition should display the highest level of performance attained.
- Singers should prepare two selections in different styles from memory. These should be sung with live piano accompaniment. We will provide an accompanist.
- Instrumentalists should prepare one piece of appropriate solo literature.
- Instrumentalists should be prepared to play major and minor scales.
- Students auditioning in piano should be prepared to play two selections representing different style periods.
- Piano students should be prepared to play selected major and minor scales, hands together a minimum of two octaves.
- You will be asked to sight-read from a piece of music for your performance medium.
- You will be asked to match pitches in order to assess your tonal memory skills.
All students must be accepted for admission to Chowan University prior to the music audition. The music audition must be performed before enrollment in music coursework.
Auditions may also be scheduled in conjunction with a personal visit at other times at the discretion of the Department of Music and the Admissions Office. Email email@example.com or contact 252-398-6236. Auditions are typically held on Admissions event dates.
Chowan University Inducts Thirty-Eight into Honors College
On September 21, 2023, Vaughan Auditorium, Marks Hall, hosted the induction of thirty-eight students into the Chowan University Honors College Association. Prior to the pinning ceremony, attendees were treated to an extremely personal account by University Registrar Richard Todd on the importance of adaptation. The Honors College is a curriculum designed for talented and extremely.Keep Reading “Chowan University Inducts Thirty-Eight into Honors College”
Chowan University Chapter of Alpha Chi Taps New Members
The Chowan University chapter of Alpha Chi, a general honor society, will hold its induction ceremony on Tuesday, October 24, at 7 p.m. in Vaughan Auditorium. The ceremony will recognize the academic achievements of 22 students who have been tapped for membership. To be eligible for membership, students must have completed 24 hours of class.Keep Reading “Chowan University Chapter of Alpha Chi Taps New Members”
Chowan University Chapter of Pi Gamma Mu Taps Students for Membership
The Chowan University chapter of Pi Gamma Mu, the International Honor Society in Social Sciences, has announced the tapping of eleven students for membership. The students who have been selected for membership are Zyanna K Amaker, Dauquann Damarrie Capers, Grace McKenzie Crawford, Ebony Kianna Gaither, Haley Lenay Jensen, Selene Willa Jean Kentish, Haley Rebekah Lowe,.Keep Reading “Chowan University Chapter of Pi Gamma Mu Taps Students for Membership”