Commencement 2022 | May 7 at 10 am
Chowan University has decided to hold the 2022 Commencement ceremony indoors at the Hawks Athletic Center on Saturday, May 7 at 10:00 a.m.
It will also be available via live stream on YouTube.
- Candidates for Graduation – report to the parking lot on the Vincent Athletic Center side of HAC. Rehearsal is 7:30 a.m. The final lineup is 9:00 a.m.
- Faculty – enter HAC on the Vincent Athletic Center side of HAC and report to the second floor. The lineup is 9:30 a.m.
- Staff – the Registrar’s Office will update your assignment/HAC location on the spreadsheet.
- Platform party – gather in the athletic office on the first floor and move to the lobby shortly before 10 a.m.
Guests will enter through the front of HAC. Each guest must have a ticket to enter. Disregard home/away on ticket. Seating on both sides of the gymnasium is open to all guests.
The Ringing of the Bell Ceremony: The ceremony will not be held on Saturday, May 7. However, note the following:
- Chowan will hold the ceremony on Thursday, May 5 at 1:30 p.m. Faculty and available staff, please gather at the gazebo by 1:30. Candidates for graduation, please line up in front of the Columns by 1:30.
- The bell will be available for students to ring on an individual basis following the commencement ceremony on Saturday. Graduates are encouraged to ring the bell in cap and gown on Saturday.
Optional Masking: As both indoor and outdoor masking has been declared optional by the state, masks will NOT be required at commencement. Any individual who wishes to continue to wear a face-covering is encouraged to do so.
Barbecue: Lunch will be available in the Thomas Dining Hall for all guests on Saturday, May 7, following Commencement.
The Hawks Athletic Center parking lots are reserved for handicapped, Special Guests, and Board Members with the Vincent Center parking lot as overflow.
Graduates and their familes should park on the main campus (Camp parking lot and White’s Crossing preferred) and walk to the Hawks Athletic Center. There will be a limited number of handicapped parking spaces near the Hawks Athletic Center. Public Safety will direct drivers who need to drop off individuals who are not able to walk from designated locations.
Are tickets required?
Tickets are required and will be handed out with caps and gowns. Students will be allowed 10 tickets each for family and friends. Children three and under do not require tickets but must be held in the lap of an adult. Seating will open at 8:30 a.m.
What seating is available?
The Hawks Athletic Center will be open for seating at 8:30 a.m. Wheelchair-accessible seating will be provided.
What about meals on graduation day?
The cafeteria will not be open on Graduation Day. There will be a cookout hosted for graduates and their families following the commencement ceremony.
Will I get a graduation photograph? Can my parents photograph me as I walk across the stage?
Grad Images, a professional photographer, is contracted by the University to take graduation photos during the Commencement Ceremony. They will contact each graduate directly about purchasing copies of this photo. Personal Photography is allowed from the stadium seating, but will not be allowed within the stadium. The ceremony will be available on live stream. *Information will be posted soon about live stream.
What about ringing the bell?
Following Chowan tradition, seniors will ring the bell to signify the completion of their academic career at Chowan after the commencement ceremony. Students will recess to the gazebo behind the faculty at the end of the program.
What about my graduation brick?
These are the bricks set into the sidewalk leading up to and around the gazebo. The cost of the brick is included in your graduation fee. Your brick will be ordered according to the diploma name submitted on your graduation application.
Are masks required?
As of March 17, 2022, Chowan University is mask optional. We encourage you to support each other and be thoughtful in your choices and respect those around you. The University recognizes that members of the community may choose to wear a mask and we support those who choose to continue to do so.