Chowan Men’s Tennis Pick Up 5-4 Win Over Northwood
HILTON HEAD, SC-The Chowan University men's tennis team picked up their second win in the Spring Tennisfest with a 5-4 win over Northwood University on Wednesday afternoon. The Timberwolves slipped to 2-4 overall while the Hawks advanced 4-4 with the win.
Chowan took the lead early with doubles competition. At the number one doubles match Farid Hajizada and Adi Kaliakperov dropped Austin Woody and Kobus Sauerman with a 8-5 loss. Mariano Yeh and Mateusz Izycki picked up the number two doubles position with a 8-6 win over Francois Sauerrman and David Reinauer. The Timberwolves secured a 8-3 win in the number three doubles match. Ivan Medvynskyi and Hayden Drury beat Rafael Goncalves and Louis Proulx.
Heading into singles play, Chowan led Northwood 2-1. Proulx fell to Medvynski 6-1, 6-2 in the number six singles play, while Hajizada won the number two singles match over K. Sauerman 6-1, 6-2. Northwood's Reinauer won the number four singles 6-3, 6-4 over Yeh, while Izycki slipped to S. Sauerrman 6-3, 6-2 at the number three singles play. The Hawks recovered in the number one singles position with Kaliakperov claiming a 7-5, 4-6, 10-5 win over Woody.
With both teams tied 4-4, it was the number five singles match that decides the match. CU's Goncalves battled to beat Lorenz Bialkowski 6-3, 6-1 to secure the final 5-4 win for Chowan.
Chowan will continue play at the Spring Tennisfest as they match up against Michigan Technological University on Thursday, March 9th.
Chowan 5, Northwood 4
3/8/2017 at Hilton Head, SC
1. KALIAKPEROV,Adi (CU-B) def. Austin Woody (NU) 7-5, 4-6, 10-5
2. HAJIZADA,Farid (CU-B) def. Kobus Sauerman (NU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Francois Sauerrman (NU) def. IZYCKI,Mateusz (CU-B) 6-3, 6-2
4. David Reinauer (NU) def. YEH,Mariano (CU-B) 6-3, 6-4
5. GONCALVES,Rafael (CU-B) def. Lorenz Bialkowski (NU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ivan Medvynskyi (NU) def. PROULX,Louis (CU-B) 6-1, 6-2
1. HAJIZADA,Farid/KALIAKPEROV,Adi (CU-B) def. Austin Woody/Kobus Sauerman (NU) 8-5
2. IZYCKI,Mateusz/YEH,Mariano (CU-B) def. Francois Sauerrman/David Reinauer (NU) 8-6
3. Ivan Medvynskyi/Hayden Drury (NU) def. GONCALVES,Rafael/PROULX,Louis (CU-B) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,2,4,3,1,5)