** Registration for SeniorFest 2019 is Closed. All available seats have been reserved. **
A Senior Adult Event at Chowan University
With Special Guest Tom Key, Faith-Based Performance Artist (nationally celebrated for creating, starring in, and co-authoring the musical hit, Cotton Patch Gospel) and Afternoon Entertainment by Keepers of Faith, Gospel Ensemble.
Plus, enjoy informative Breakout Sessions, Entertainment, and Lunch!
Registration fee is $15 per person and includes Program, & Lunch. Register by March 15th to reserve your spot.
Schedule at a Glance
10:00 am — Morning Session
11:15 am – 12: 15 pm — Breakout Sessions
- The Art of Acting, the Art of Being You: Tom Key has been described by the Atlanta newspaper, Creative Loafing, as “An actor with such energy that even standing still, he seems to quiver like a divining rod.” In this session, Key guides, inspires, performs, and invites attendees into those ancient fundamentals of the performance craft; the same sacred practices that create a life that is awake, intentional and loving. Tom Key, Faith-Based Performer and Artistic Director, Theatrical Outfit, Atlanta, GA
- Exploring the Branches: Discover the best practices for researching your family tree. Connie Christison, Genealogy Researcher
- Fall Prevention: Learn exercises, safety tips, and lifestyle adjustments to prevent falls. Jason Jenkins and Lisa Lane, Vidant Wellness Coaches
- Keeping Your Brain Healthy: It’s more than just Use or Lose It. Cognitive decline is one of the most feared consequences of aging, but it is not necessarily inevitable. Discover the many ways you can keep your brain healthy and maintain your cognitive function. Jean M. Matthews, MSN, RN, Nurse Supervisor, Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program, ECU – College of Nursing
- Lessons from Aunt Bertha: Come and hear the lessons learned by the presenter’s Aunt Bertha over the years. Aunt Bertha had little in material wealth but was very generous. This generosity led her to be a great example of preparing ahead in the areas of estate planning, creating a will, and generosity. Rev. Daryl Trexler, Aunt Bertha’s Nephew and Eastern Regional Manager, North Carolina Baptist Foundation
- Medicare Basics and Upcoming Changes: Learn how to understand your Medicare benefit. Discuss the changes to prescription drug coverage and supplemental insurance and find out how the changes will impact you. Lisa J. Barker, Northeast Regional Manager, SHIIP (Senior Health Insurance Information Program)
- Serving Across the Generations: Hands-on Missions with Chowan students. Mari E. Wiles, Minister to the University and Drew Phillips, Associate Minister to the University
12:30 pm — Lunch and Afternoon Session (Thomas Dining Hall)
2:30 pm — SeniorFest Concludes