Making a Commitment
The Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Montorse Streeter in conjunction with the Student Government Association (SGA) compiled a community commitment to urge students, faculty, staff and community members to follow CDC and University guidelines to protect our campus and community. Dr. Streeter shared, "responsibility to follow the university policies fall to individual faculty, staff, students, and campus guest in order to promote a good social order with mutual care and respect for others. Students will be required to sign the attached community compact, Chowan Strong-Safer Together. The compact is our agreement to care for self, others and this place." Chowan faculty and staff will also be required to sign the compact because we are all in this together.
Chowan Strong – Safer Together Commitment
At Chowan, students, faculty and staff members live and work alongside each other. In addition, we are members of a larger community in Murfreesboro and the region. Being part of a community means considering the well-being of others as well as oneself. We ask that all members of our community share in personal responsibility to create and sustain a healthy living, learning, and working environment. We commit to Protect our Nest!
I commit to:
Care for Self
• Daily monitoring of COVID-19 symptoms and to report to a medical professional if I experience a fever of 100 F / 38 C, chills, dry cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, new loss of taste or smell, or sore throat.
• Wash my hands often with soap and water or sanitize with hand sanitizer.
Care for Others
• Staying home when I feel ill or after exposure to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
• Regularly practice and maintain physical distance (6 feet or greater) in communal areas including classrooms, dining facilities, library, and other places where others may gather.
• Wearing a mask or cloth covering the nose and mouth when physical distance is difficult to maintain.
• Considering the needs of others above my own.
• Cooperating with the medical professionals if I am exposed to the virus.
Care for Place
• Regular cleaning of personal and commonly shared spaces.
• Support and follow policies as directed by Chowan University.
• Respond and participate in testing and contact tracing if asked.