Men’s Tennis captured their first CIAA Championship.
RALEIGH, NC- The Chowan University men's tennis team captured their first CIAA Championship in program history with a 5-1 win over defending champion Shaw University on Saturday afternoon. The Hawks secured a spot in the NCAA Atlantic Region Tournament with the victory and advance with a 20-6 overall record.
Director of Tennis, Chris Stambaugh, noted "We've won the past three regular season titles, and just haven't managed to win the CIAA Championship until now. This one is really the one that matters…it's the first one for the school. It was a long, long, uphill climb to get to this point. The guys are very strong-willed and I'm excited for them."
In doubles play, number three duo Rafael Goncavles and Louis Proulx teamed up to edge Maricio Gonzalez and Guido Margiotta 8-6 to give Chowan an early 1-0 edge. Diego Choque and Javier Saez, playing number two doubles, outlasted Mariano Yeh and Mateusz Izycki 9-7 but Adi Kaliakperov and Farid Hajizada downed Daniel Ac and Bach Tran 8-2 in number one doubles to give Chowan a 2-1 advantage heading into singles play.
Yeh, competing in number five singles, defeated Margiotta 6-3, 6-1 to push the Hawks ahead 3-1. Hajizada, in the number one spot, and Izycki in the number two position, both emerged victorious in singles play to propel the Hawks to the 5-1 win. Izycki earned the 6-1, 6-4 win in singles play to secure the victory for Chowan, earning him CIAA Tournament Most Valuable Player honors.
The NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Selection Show is scheduled for Tuesday, May 3rd at 8pm. The Selection Show can be viewed at www.ncaa.com
Chowan 5, Shaw 1
4/30/2016 at Raleigh, N.C. (Millbrook Tennis Center)
1. HAJIZADA,Farid (CU-B) def. Daniel Ac (SU-M) 6-2, 6-2
2. IZYCKI,Mateusz (CU-B) def. Diego Choque (SU-M) 6-1, 6-4
3. GONCALVES,Rafael (CU-B) vs. Bach Tran (SU-M) no result
4. KALIAKPEROV,Adi (CU-B) vs. Javier Saez (SU-M) no result
5. YEH,Mariano (CU-B) def. Guido Margiotta (SU-M) 6-3, 6-1
6. PROULX,Louis (CU-B) vs. Maricio Gonzalez (SU-M) no result
1. KALIAKPEROV,Adi/HAJIZADA,Farid (CU-B) def. Daniel Ac/Bach Tran (SU-M) 8-2
2. Diego Choque/Javier Saez (SU-M) def. YEH,Mariano/IZYCKI,Mateusz (CU-B) 9-7
3. GONCALVES,Rafael/PROULX,Louis (CU-B) def. Maricio Gonzalez/Guido Margiotta (SU-M) 8-6