Dr. Jennifer Zak Place
Dean of the School of Arts & Sciences; Professor of Psychology
Our expert faculty have chosen Chowan University because it is a teaching institution where there is a strong focus on students. Students in the Arts and Sciences benefit from professors who have a breadth of experience, scholarship, and practical knowledge. Our main goal is to guide students toward their professional pursuits in an encouraging and supportive environment.
- PhD, Counseling Psychology, State University of New York, Albany
- CAS, School Counseling, State Univeristy of New York, Albany
- MS, Counseling Psychology, State Univeristy of New York, Albany
- BS, Psychology, Saint Mary’s College of Notre Dame
Academic & Scholarly Achievements
- 2018 Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2017 Pi Gamma Mu Faculty Award
- 2014 Alpha Chi Teacher of the Year
- 2012 Faculty Advisor of the Year
- Alcohol/Drug Studies
- Developmental Psychology
- Cultural Diversity in Psychological Issues
- Personality Theories
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
- Group Process
- Capstone Project
- Women and Gender Studies
- Introduction to Counseling
- Abnormal Psychology
- Interpersonal and Family Dynamics
- Basics in Therapeutic Counseling
Selected Presentations and Publications
Shellito, S., & Place, J. (2011). “Taking Flight: First Flight Summer Orientation Program” Presentation, Independent College Access Network Fall Conference, High Point, NC.
Place, J. (2010) “Stages of Development and Contingent Parenting.” Presentation and Round Table Discussion, Parenting Summit sponsored by Choanoke Area Development Association (CADA), Halifax Community College, Roanoke Rapids, NC.
Porter, J., Stern, M., & Zak-Place, J. (2009). Prematurity Stereotyping and Perceived Vulnerability at 5- months: Relations with Mothers and their Premature and Full-Term Infants at 9-months. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology.
Zak-Place, J. & Stern, M. (2004). Dispositional Optimism and Protection Motivation Factors as Predictors of STD and HIV Preventive Behavior. American Journal of College Health, 52, 229-236.
Zak-Place, J. & Stern, M. (2000). Dispositional Optimism and Protection Motivation Factors as Predictors of STD and HIV Preventive Behavior. Paper presented at the meetings of the Society of Behavioral Medicine, Nashville, TN.
Slyck, MV., Stem, M., Zak-Place, J. (1996). Promoting Optimal Adolescent Development through Conflict Resolution Education, Training, and Practice: An Innovative Approach for Counseling Psychologists. The Counseling Psychologist 24 (3), 433-461.