State Authorization Compliance

Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. Chowan works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education programs.

State and Federal Regulations on ‘State Authorization’ of Distance Education

Contact Information for Filing Complaint

Chowan University is committed to providing students with a means for sharing their concerns and officially registering complaints about any academic program, student service, or university process.

  • Chowan University Student Complaint Form

The Student Complaint Form provides students with an avenue to submit a concern regarding any area on campus for which no other specific process exists. This form is not an appeal form, and, therefore, should NOT be used to submit complaints regarding academic penalties or student disciplinary actions. Students should follow the established appeal process as outlined in the Academic Catalog and Student Handbook (pg. 191). In addition, a student who wishes to file a Title IX complaint should request the Title IX Discrimination Complaint Form.

Student Complaint Form 

Title IX Discrimination Complaint Form 

Contact Information:

Danny B. Moore
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Chowan University
One University Place
Murfreesboro, NC 27855
Third Floor, Columns Building

If a complaint cannot be resolved through Chowan’s complaint process, a student may file a complaint with the following agency.

To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Español(919) 716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

Website:  Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice

  • Southern Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Colleges

If for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Chowan University’s accrediting agency. 

Chowan University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate, baccalaureate, and master’s degree.

Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures.

The contact information for SACSCOC is:

1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Telephone:  404-679-4500
Website:  Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges


  • SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complain Form.

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Telephone:  (855) SARA-1-NC (855-727-2162)
Telephone:  919-549-8614, ext. 4667
Website:  SARA NC

Students Outside of North Carolina

Students not residing in North Carolina and enrolled in a North Carolina institution that operates under SARA North Carolina may submit complaints to North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority (NCSEAA) only after completing the complaint process established by the institution attended by the student. Please see the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complain Form.

Professional Licensure

NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. If you are enrolled in a Chowan University program leading to professional licensure, Chowan recommends that you consult with the appropriate licensing agency or board in your state or territory – including states participating in NC-SARA – prior to beginning your course of study.

Currently, the only school with programs leading to licensure is our School of Education. For more information about these programs, including contact information, please visit the School of Education webpage.