Audition for the Department of Music
Scholarships are available to students for all areas of music performance. A student may audition in more than one performance medium. Auditions are held in Briley Recital Hall (in Daniel Hall - see campus map) with no sound amplification. Music chosen for audition should be of an acceptable level of difficulty.
- Singers should prepare two selections in different styles from memory. These should be sung with live piano accompaniment. We will provide an accompanist.
- Instrumentalists should prepare one piece of appropriate solo literature.
- Instrumentalists should be prepared to play major and minor scales.
- Students auditioning in piano and/or organ should be prepared to play two selections representing different style periods.
- Piano and organ students should be prepared to play selected major and minor scales, hands together a minimum of two octaves.
- You will be asked to sight read from a piece of music for your performance medium.
- You will be asked to match pitches in order to assess your tonal memory skills.
All students must be accepted for admission to Chowan University prior to the music audition. The music audition must be performed before enrollment in music coursework.
Auditions may also be scheduled in conjunction with a personal visit at other times at the discretion of the Department of Music and the Admissions Office. Register online now for your music audition or contact 252-398-6236.