The University Archives houses many special and rare items. The Archives consist of two special collections the McDowell Collection of Archives and Antiquites and the Creech Collection of Baptist Materials. The University Archives are located on the ground floor of Whitaker Library. Hours are from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Advance appointments are recommended. People using the special collections must fill out the Guest Register for University Archives.
To make inquires about the archives please contact:
Phone number: 252-398-6586
Many people have donated items that have been useful and valuable to our researchers. Donated items are appreciated. If you have items related to Chowan University, items related to local history, and items related to the Baptist heritage, please contact the person listed above.
The purpose of the McDowell Collection of Archives and Antiquites is to collect, organize, make available, and preserve records of rare or fragile materials for research, relating to Chowan University and local history. Materials may be collected in all formats, and will include any item acquired by the University relating to the purpose of this collection. Specific items may include:
- Annuals/yearbooks, catalogs, student and employee handbooks
- Chowan University publications
- Programs from university events
- Books by Chowan faculty, staff, or students
- Chowan University textbooks before 1900
This collection, dedicated in 1975, is named for the late William Herbert and Emily Biggs McDowell of Scotland Neck, North Carolina.
Below is a sample of archival holdings:
- Bernice Kelly Harris paper
- Valentine Diary
- Surviving the Hard Times, 1930’s style
- Tulie Speight sketches and watercolor paintings
A sub-division of the McDowell Collections is the Whitaker Collection of Presidential Papers. The purpose of the Whitaker Collection is to collect, house, and make available for research materials pertaining to the presidencies of Chowan University. This collection was initially funded by Dr. & Mrs. Bruce E. Whitaker. Dr. Whitaker served as the nineteenth president of Chowan University from 1957-1989. Mrs. Esther Whitaker served for many years as a faculty member at the University. Materials may be collected in all formats, and shall include such items as:
- President’s annual report to the Board of Trustees
- Minutes of the Board of Trustees
- A Yearly financial audit report
- Copies of Presidential speechs
- Plaques, pictures, awards given to the President
- Clothing worn during inauguration activities
Collection of these items is contingent upon their availability from the President’s Office.
The purpose of the Creech Collection of Baptist Materials is to collect, organize, make available, and preserve records of research materials relating to Southern Baptist history, including local and regional associations. The Creech Collection seeks materials, especially minutes, from the Baptist regions in the area. It attempts to maintain full runs of the North Carolina and Virginia state Baptist newspapers, as well as Baptist convention annuals from North Carolina, Virginia, and the Southern Baptist Convention. It attempts to collect church histories.
This collection is named for the late Reverend Oscar Creech of Ahoskie, North Carolina, Baptist pastor in the Roanoke-Chowan area. He was a member of the Chowan University staff, and a co-author of A History of Chowan College.
Reverend Oscar Creech
Chowan University Archives Access Policies
Chowan University Archives is a department of Whitaker Library at Chowan University in Murfreesboro, NC. The Director of Library Services and the Associate Director of Library Services/Cataloger are responsible for its operation. We support research of Chowan University students, faculty, staff, alumna, and outside researchers. Please ask if you have questions about the following policies regarding use of materials:
- Requests from media representatives (including but not limited to newspaper, magazines, television, and media) must be made through the Development Office.
- Requests for University records pursuant legal proceedings of any kind will be referred to the Development Office.
- Researchers will be asked to show photo identification, to sign the Archives guest register, and to furnish information at the bottom of this page. Since there is no table to use in the Archives, the large table on the main floor may be used.
- Not all records are available to researchers. Some records have restrictions placed on their use by statute, by the donor, by the office of origin, or by University policy. Additionally, the library staff may restrict the use of unprocessed or fragile materials.
- Materials housed in the Archives so not circulate and must be used in an appointed area in the presence of the library staff. Chowan University archival materials are not available through interlibrary loan.
- Food and/or beverages are not permitted in the Archives.
- Researchers agree to handle materials carefully and to use only pencils for making notes. Researchers may be asked to wear cotton gloves. We will provide pencils and gloves.
- Researchers may use laptop computers and digital cameras in the Archives.
- Because of the age of out materials, photocopying and scanning are done by the Archives staff. Researchers may be charged a small fee for copies and scans. We reserve the right to limit the number of copies and/or to refuse requests for reproduction of materials. Reproduction does not constitute permission to publish.
- It is the researcher’s responsibility to follow U.S. copyright law, Title 17, United States Code, available at http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/
- No unpublished item from the Chowan University Archives can be published without express permission from the Director of University Relations and the Special Collections Librarian. A written request to publish is required. Researchers who publish works using the Chowan University archive materials agree to donate one copy to the Archives.
- Any display or any other use of material, whether original or reproduced, from Chowan University Archives must be accompanied by the following statement:
[TYPE OF MATERIAL] COURTESY OF
CHOWAN UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES