Image of a Students

student documents

See the following links for helpful student documents.

>Student Handbook
>Housing Preference Form
>Residence Life Calendar
>Medical History Form
>Commuter Application Form

You and Your Advisor:
Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Advising
  2. Issues You Should Discuss with Your Advisor
  3. Issues of Particular Importance to Freshmen
  4. Issues Important to All Students
  5. Issues Specific to International Students
  6. Issues Specific to Student Athletes
  7. The Honors College and Achieving Academic Honors

III. Issues of Particular Importance to Freshmen

Click numbered boxes to open and close answers.

1. I took college courses in high school – does this determine my catalog year?
No. While you may be able to apply those courses to Chowan University requirements, your catalog year begins with the academic year you enroll in classes at CU.

2. Where can I find out which Math course I should take?
Check with your academic advisor or the University Catalog degree requirements for your major.

3. Do I have to enroll in Critical Thinking?
Yes. You are required to take two Critical Thinking courses to meet graduation requirements. Transfer students who enter at the sophomore level or above may be eligible to have one course requirement waived. The Registrar will make that decision and send the info to your advisor.

4. Do I have to enroll in Perspectives?
Yes. You must enroll in Perspectives in your first semester of attendance and continue to enroll in Perspectives (PERS 101-104) until you have completed 4 semesters of Perspectives, by attending a minimum of 8 Perspective events per semester. Transfer students may not be required to satisfy the full four-semester requirement. The Registrar's Office will determine the Perspectives requirement for transfer students and inform you and your advisor.

5. Why do I have to enroll in Perspectives?
Perspectives events are planned to enrich your intellectual, cultural, and spiritual development beyond the classroom. The program allows you to develop new ways to view the world by providing you with opportunities to explore issues of current interest, deepen, your awareness of the arts, learn about cultural activities you may not have considered otherwise, discover a variety of disciplines, strengthen your understanding of faith and its diversities, grow toward spiritual maturity, celebrate the achievements of others, and develop an appreciation for the campus community.

6. Is it easier for freshmen to get on the Dean’s List?

No. To earn Dean’s List honors, you must be enrolled in at least 12 hours and earn a grade point average of 3.25 to 3.79 during that semester. To earn the President’s List honors, you must have earned a minimum grade point average of 3.8 during that semester.

Any grade below a C in a given semester disqualifies you from any honors list in that semester. A grade of F or U in a non-credit course is considered less than a C for these purposes.

7. When do I become a sophomore?
You become a sophomore when you have earned 27 credit hours.

8. I would like to graduate in 4 years – is this possible?
Yes. To do so, you must enroll in and pass 15-18 credit hours each semester. Additionally, you should maintain close contact with your advisor during each academic semester, checking your academic progress against the degree requirements for your major as shown in the appropriate catalog.

9. I have a job – how many classes should I take?
College coursework requires at least two hours of study for every one hour of class. This means that if you are carrying 15 credit hours, you would need to spend at least 30 hours outside of class studying. The total of class time and study time in this case is at least 45 hours. Therefore, if you are taking a 15-credit-hour course load, you should work no more than 12 to 15 hours per week. The sum of work, study, and class time should equal between 50 and 60 hours per week.

> Return to 'You and Your Advisor' start page

Return to Top

Copyright © Chowan University. All RIGHTS RESERVED. All trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.